One of my absolute favorite recipes is something my family calls chicken in bacon sauce, which is chicken wrapped in bacon then, smothered with cream of chicken soup and sour cream. It's absolutely delicious. Well, what does that have to do with chicken cordon bleu? Yesterday chicken cordon bleu was on the meal plan...and I had looked at the recipe a few days earlier. It said it needed to marinade..so I started it Saturday evening.
Here is what I did:
Flattened the chicken (like you would cordon bleu)
Placed a few pieces of thin Swiss cheese on the chicken (like you would cordon bleu)
Added a couple slices of ham on the cheese and rolled it up (like you would cordon bleu)
Dipped the chicken in butter, then crushed Cornflakes & placed in a pan (like you would cordon bleu)
Combined cream of chicken soup with sour cream for the gravy (like you would for cordon bleu)
Smothered the chicken breasts with the gravy (NOT like you would for cordon bleu)
Covered it and let it sit for 36 hours (NOT like you would for cordon bleu)
NOTE: All of these directions WERE in my book and part of the recipe...
So, yesterday comes around...we're starting to get hungry so I pull out the chicken and uncover it. The directions say to bake (uncovered) at 400* for 40 minutes. When the buzzer went off, I went to check the chicken...I pulled one breast out and uncovered it from the gravy. It looked okay, but still a little pink. I checked the other pieces...one was still COMPLETELY PINK! When I called my mom to see what I'd done wrong, she sounded confused when I told her I covered it with the gravy and let it sit in the fridge overnight...ya...those are the directions for the chicken in bacon sauce recipe.
Somehow, somewhere I had combined these two recipes into one...we still at the chicken (after I let it fully cook through), but it was not the regular and delicious chicken cordon bleu with gravy...it was a bit more like the chicken in bacon sauce...
Maybe next time I can get it right.
[As to the other recipes I've been making on the meal plan, those have turned out pretty well except the spinach chicken as mentioned earlier]
ha ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks I can tweak a recipe and then it is a disaster. I should know better by now!
ReplyDelete