3.30.2016

(Almost Instant) Old Fashioned Oatmeal

I'm a nursing mom who loves a good, tasty, and if possible healthy breakfast.  I'm up every morning (no matter how late I went to bed) at the crack of dawn and I'm hungry!

I love oatmeal, and I love old fashioned oats even more.  I've tried overnight oats, but I just don't like the consistency.  I like the freshly cooked, still warm and a bit crunchy oatmeal only a stove can provide.  But, I'm not a fan of pulling out my measuring cups every morning (in the dark) trying to measure my oatmeal and add-ons.




So, I started prepping mine ahead of time.  It's so easy, here's how!




1-Get your oats, brown sugar, snack sized Ziploc baggies, 1/3 measuring cup & 1 teaspoon

2- Put 1/3 c. oats into each baggie
3- Add 1 tsp. brown sugar
4- Zip up

Simple prep right?  So easy.


To make:


1-Heat 2/3 c. water on stove until boiling.

2-Dump in oatmeal bag and 1 tsp (I use the spoon I eat with which is about 1 tsp) of pure maple syrup (you could add whatever you want here...or add nothing, I just like a little extra sweetness)
3-Mix and turn off stove (I leave mine still on the burner, but with the heat off)
4-Let sit until most/all liquid is gone (about 10 minutes...go get dressed, do your hair, read a book, whatever you do in 10 minutes ... won't lie, sometimes I go lie back in bed for a few minutes).
5-Add milk (if desired) & top with fruit (if desired)



I've calculated it and it comes out to about 350 calories (using 1/4 c. 1% milk).  I think that's a pretty healthy and hearty breakfast!


And that starts off a good morning!


Happy Eating:)



No comments:

Post a Comment